Thursday, July 3, 2008
Not exactly Charlotte
I thought the above spider was remarkable and strange as it dangled from a tree. I had a strong zoom on my camera. We were the perfect distance, really.
Last week, I was studying outside and heard a loud, short bird call, unlike any I had heard before. I set down my books and headed to the tree where it was perched. The bird was near the top of the tree, it's underside camouflaged with the tree's leaves, even with the light shinning through them. I needed a better angle.
I backed-up, but other trees blocked my view. I tried to spot it from below again, but there were too many branches in the way. I decided to circle the tree one last time, head toward the sky, with nothing but birds on my mind.
Then it hit me. Or rather I hit it. A spider's web right in the face, stuck to my hair, trailing down my sweater.
As I picked and pulled at strands, I began to wonder whether I had collected the web alone, and not perhaps a spider along with it. Then I noticed him: a foreboding spider like the one above. Perched on my shoulder, tapping a leg and wondering why I had wrecked his web.
Suffice it to say, the conversation didn't last long. Pretty soon he was airborne and I was nearly airborne myself.
I have circled a couple trees since then looking for birds, but now I look to see what is in front of me, too. I am guessing the spiders are keeping an eye out for me as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Hahaha!! That was funny, you write it so well!! I hope the Spiders ceeps an eye on you, and run away next time;)
Post a Comment