This weekend I hiked a transect through a remote region of Tanzania with scientists who were assessing the soils and streams in a local watershed. I wanted to share with you some of the lessons I learned during our hike through this beautiful and unique part of the world:
People who wear a size 10 ½ shoe should not depart on a multi-day hike with only one pair of size 10 shoes (these ones have killer tread - perfect for the landscape here - but the largest size I could find in town was a ten).
The hotter it gets, the less nature tolerates straight lines.Sometimes the heaviest things rise to the top (this photo was taken over a mile above sea level).
Magical forests really do exist. We found this one above the rocky outcropping in the previous photo.
I can make sand by rubbing my thumb and fingers together over a piece of sandstone or quartzite. (I liked to think that I contributed to the future shores of the Tanganyika Ocean... the Lake today is spreading much like the Atlantic Ocean did when it began rifting millions of years ago).
Sometimes the most beautiful things in nature are the ones that don’t quite fit-in.
Restoring the landscape in the area where I am working is ultimately possible, since many of the soils are still in tact.
The hotter the hike, the better the sunset. This one was worth every step it took us to reach the lake.









No comments:
Post a Comment