Thursday, June 19, 2008

For shizo

I am attending a Swahili training program this month, hoping to build a grammatical foundation for current and future vocabulary. I have been surprised to find, however, that my instructor speaks a different language entirely.

"Let's get this started for shizo," he said as we initiated my studies, "Welcome to the club. Let's bounce."

After a few secret handshakes (I always forget the snap), I lost track of who was teaching grammar to whom.

Sure I've had to correct him on certain noun classes, and sure he is a little fuzzy about some of the possessive pronouns, but in a different time and place he'd be married to Britney by now and adored the world over.

This afternoon I met a new instructor, with whom I will be working next week; he attended my midday exercises. When asked by my current instructor what he thought of my work, he said emphatically: blublastic. Meaning, apparently, fantastic.

It looks like I will be learning more vocabulary next week that is not in my textbook. My hope is that I not only figure out the snaps in the handshake, but that I also learn to augment nouns and pluralize the second person plural.

For shizo.

1 comment:

Serena said...

Goodness that was funny... Serena