Sunday, June 29, 2008

Take a hike

I went on a short hike today with friends. We found several interesting things and I wanted to share a few of them with you.

Bundles of carrots (if only Dale Chihuly were here to see them)

A pool of green goo. Primordial ooze, anyone?

Sticks of clay.
We watched a woman make these and she explained that they are used to make mugs and plates, and also that pregnant women will eat them - perhaps to avoid anemia during childbirth.

A man showed-off his ancient coins (some dated 1907).
He also treated us to some of the biggest passion fruits I have ever seen.


If you think building a fish pond up the side of a mountain sounds strange, Germany built a Swahili school for its soldiers near the top of it.

This is presumably not the bridge used to transport the materials for the German Swahili school.

The landscape

A baby pineapple

I also wanted to share a few photos from a similar hike we took a couple weeks ago:

This rock looked remarkably like marble swirl cake, perhaps because it's closely related to either marble or cake (I was hoping for the latter).

The German school near the top of the mountain. I struggled to understand why they decided to build it here, until I saw the view.

The view.

No comments: