Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Ladies are not allowed

I took this photo earlier today at the entrance of a crushed red-velvet lined Indian restaurant in Dar es Salaam. Interpret this sign as you wish, but I am guessing it is not meant to protect women from spicy paneer.

A friend recently returned from a trip to the US - it was his first trip outside Tanzania. He was struck by how "empowered the women are" in the US. "They were running around with cell phones and making decisions," he said. He has vowed to help women overcome hurdles "in his village and his home." I am so glad he gets it. But signs like this remind me just how much work is left to be done.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Rob,

This is not a comment, but rather a question: could you give me a quick update on "social life, housing and health situation for expats in Kigoma" by any chance??

I'm asking because there's a fair chance that I'll be living there as of the end of this year, together with my wife and our little daughter (now 18 months).

Cheers for any feedback you can provide me with!

Best regards,

André (amaukisch@gmail.com)

Jan Beck said...

Kudos to you, Robu!!

Unknown said...

That's a hoot, Robby... the world is a very big and various place, isn't it?! =)

Enjoy Tanzania.... Adventures are to be desired!!

Love, Molly