I saw six men carrying a wooden platform with a colorful wooden mat. I recognized the design immediately, having seen it used in several funerals near Kigoma. Her name was Asea and she had suffered complications in childbirth. “Could we take her to town?” her brother asked. Men reorganized luggage in the back of the flatbed truck and laid her over bags and backpacks, putting her head in the lap of a mama who would accompany us to town. Other men – mostly those already on our convoy – piled in the back, offering no comforts to Asea or the mama, and holding as tightly to their social roles as they did to the side of the truck as we sped our way to Kigoma – two hours away – only slowing for military road blocks.
In the double-cab of the pick-up truck, the driver started shouting about something. A mother riding with us began yelling back. The guard we had in the front seat – to protect us from rebels and bandits – just sat there, his semi-automatic weapon bouncing between his legs as we bumped our way down the road. The children looked around, stared at me, smiled. I wondered if I was the only one in the car who remembered the precious cargo we were carrying in the back.
“OK, Robert, let’s go home,” the driver said to me cheerfully as we walked out of the postmortem room. I nodded my head quietly; and as I buckled my seatbelt, I looked back into the hospital where Asea was finally resting, wondering under what circumstances the local attitudes toward death became so blithe.


1 comment:
Reading this made me sad..
I can understand your anger,
I think I would have felt it the same way. But I guess , we have to understand that to some that is just a way to get by, when you live in a world that is so different to what we are used to.
I guess ..
But .. still get's me sad.
Post a Comment