There are between 500 and 700 chimps in Mahale National Park, and more still in the surrounding areas. Given the park's size and the relatively low human population density in the ecosystem around the Park, conservationists have an exciting opportunity to protect the landscape and the species who dwell there before irreversible damage is done.
I love chimps, and it was important for me to trek chimps in this forest, and I did so without delay upon arrival. Hiking the forests of Mahale was an experience I shall never forget (especially my knees), and I soaked in the sights and sounds I found there - including warthogs, giant bees, flowering vines and a friendly lesbian couple I found in the middle of nowhere (they had a guide, but from what I could tell they were mostly telling him where to go).
But I have to say one of the most rewarding experiences at Mahale wasn't in Mahale at all, but rather in the shallow waters off its coast. I have been snorkeling in three other areas of Lake Tanganyika and have yet to find a place that isn't host to a variety of colorful and exciting fish of the "cichlid" variety. But off Mahale I saw fish unlike any I had seen before.
There were tiny blue and green and peach fish that followed me wherever I went (sensing my vegetarian doctrines, I assume), a fish with giraffe-patterned fins and bright blue lips, a darkly iridescent fish with bright yellow dots on the tip of fins that trail beneath it like bait on a fishing line, and to my shock two giant cichlids as long as my torso and nearly as wide.
The fish have funny habbits. Some of them rush up to rocks and "kiss" them, thereby eating the algae that grows there. Another was digging a hole by gulping-up sand and spitting it onto the rim of the nest it was building. Others were territorial and seemed to be fighting over property rights or females or rugby scores. It was incredible to be able to see fish doing all the things you expect fish to do: eat, swim, fight, build a nest. Little dramas seemed to be playing-out wherever I looked.
I had a great time in the lake and was thrilled to be able to share that afternoon with two colleagues from a partner NGO. It was truly an experience to remember, and one I intend to repeat.





3 comments:
Hello,
now Im gonna read everything on youre blog before I go to work, hehe;)You are a very good writer so I am enjoying it:)
Reagrds from Synnove,
(and Ola eventhough he is not here;)
Hello,
now Im gonna read youre entire
blog before I go to work.
Beacuse you are a good writer I know I will be enjoying it:)
Reagards from Synnove
(and Ola eventhough he is not here;)
Hello!
Now Im readinbg youre entire blog before i go to work. And since you are susch a good writer Im very much enjoying it!!:)
regards from Synnove & Ola. (eventhough Ola is not here;)
Post a Comment