Two of the people in the room were professional “cuppers,” trained in the art of evaluating coffee, similar to sommeliers in the world of wine. They take a spoon of coffee and slurp it loudly and quickly, letting the taste fill every corner of their mouth. They then swirl the coffee around for a few seconds and spit it into a bucket. Then a spoonful from the next cup, and on and on.
It is a rather loud and somewhat disturbing process, with so much slurping and spitting happening you almost forget this is how million-dollar cash-crops get started.
There are different criteria that are used to rate coffee. On the day I was observed the cuppers, they were ranking coffees based on five measures: aroma, body, flavor, acidity and aftertaste. It was incredible to watch three people in the room taste and rank coffees, and compare notes that were miraculously synchronized with each other. "Cup four of coffee eleven had a light essence of cassava to me..." "I said that, too!" were the types of comments you heard as they compared notes. They turned to me, "What did you think of the blend?" I searched for flavors of chocolate or honey or fruit - since they seemed to find fruit flavors in so many of the coffees on the table - but all I could come up with was "it tastes hot."
This is what I learned: first coffee cherries are picked, then the seeds are shucked from their fruit and washed and fermented – the latter step taking somewhere between 18 hours and three days, which I believe helps to finish removing the pulp from the seed. The seeds are then dried and tumbled to remove the outer-shell of the coffee seed, called “parchment.” Seeds are then hand-sorted to ensure no parchment makes it into the roaster, and they are sifted through screens which allow small or fragmented seeds to fall through (apparently they have poorer flavors). What is left is roasted, packaged and shipped to coffee drinkers from Bubango to


1 comment:
You don't know me, but my mother-in-law is your grandmother Jane's best friend in MN. She gave me your web address and I wanted to comment on your fascinating commentaries; very enjoyable. You met my daughter, Amy, when you were in Boston and you acquired a ticket for her to the Jane G. program. Good luck and best wishes to you in all of your adventures in Africa!
Post a Comment